Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Giving Books a Chance

How much of a chance do you give a book before you put it to the side as "not for me." Do you commit each time you open the pages of a book, slogging your way through if necessary because you can't bear to not finish it once you've started? Or are you like me -- giving a book maybe 50 pages to become at least minimally appealing. I used to stick with my reading commitments more strictly, but in recent years, I've realized I just don't have time to read a book I'm not enjoying.

But here's where my habit becomes a dilemma: what do you do when a friend hands you a book saying "this book is amazing! You have to read it!" And then you just don't like it. Or can't get into it. Do you hand it back with a simple "I couldn't get into it." Or do you persevere because of your regard for the friend?

For me, I think it depends on the friend, knowing them well enough to know what they would do in the same situation. Knowing them well enough to know if their feelings would be hurt by casual disregard of the book. And knowing them well enough to know how important the book is to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment