Wednesday, June 18, 2014

T.V. Tuesday

Yes, I titled this post as though it's going to be an ongoing thing...when, let's be honest, that's kind of wishful thinking these days. (hello, newborn! you crazy little person you. I love you to bits).


I like storytelling in many forms, including television shows. While I'm home all day these days, I sometimes put a show on while I'm doing housework or feeding the Peanut. And a couple of weeks ago I discovered a new show to crush on: The Mindy Project. I needed something funny I could consume in short bites, and this fit the bill exactly -- so much so that I watched both existing seasons in about a week and a half! 

Here's what I like about it:

The cast: chemistry, acting, comedic timing. Watching it feels natural, which is a refreshing change from the forced feeling of so many sitcoms. To me, this naturalness is the mark of a watchable comedy, and a no-brainer for the best.

The humor: it's not perfect (I recently read an article talking about why all the "Mindy loves to eat" jokes are problematic, and I agree to an extent), but I like that it doesn't take itself seriously. It's not vulgar (there's plenty of sex story-lines, but it's not crass, know what I mean?), or mean.

The (presence of) character development: whether or not this continues to be something I like remains to be seen (because we all know shows where the characters start acting like crazy lunatic versions of themselves -- it can be the downfall of a really great show), but at the moment, I like that they've been able to create three dimensional characters. 

So, now I'm in the mood for comedy, and I may have to give a rewatch to one of my favorites (I'm leaning toward The Cosby Show or Spaced,) -- unless anyone out there has a good recommendation? 

2 comments:

  1. Girl Meets World begins June 27 and is creating a family premiere event at our house. Hope it honors the original and is as real and funny.
    You'll have to weigh in if you were a fan of Boy Meets World. Any ideas for premiere snacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was such a huge fan of Boy Meets World! I'd forgotten that Girl Meets World is premiering soon. Thanks for the heads up...only two days! As far as premiere snacks...classic childhood favorites come to mind. So for me, that's popcorn and cheese and crackers, but this time with a twist in honor of the new show. Like sweet and salty popcorn, and fancy cheese and crackers.

    Fingers crossed that the new show will be a great one!

    ReplyDelete