Thursday, June 9, 2016

Parenting and Friday Night Lights



I just finished a rewatch of the show Friday Night Lights. I really love that show. Inspired by the book of the same title, on the surface it's a show about Texas high school football. But it's really about relationships, family, friendship, love, growing up, dreaming, striving. It's about the complicated relationship we often have with the place we're from. It's about Texas. And yes, it's about football.  Is it perfect? Of course not (see: Season 2). But is it good storytelling? Yes, one thousand times.

One of the many things I love about the show is the presence of some really great adults (some not-so-great too). Adults who are good parents to their own kids, and good adults-friends-mentors to other kids in their life as well. So, fresh off a tearful goodbye to my friends in Dillon, here are some parenting tips from Friday Night Lights:

1. Set clear expectations and have high standards



Image result for friday night light gifs

2. But extend grace when necessary



Related image


3. It's all about the conversation. Keep the lines of communication open and be willing to listen.

friday night lights connie britton tami taylor julie taylor

4. When you're proud...say it, show it.



5. Boundaries are a good thing

Image result for friday night light gifs I'm proud of you

6. You have to put in the work from the very beginning. Because then you can remind them to "be the person I raised you to be."

(insert gif of Smash's Mama saying that to Smash...because I couldn't find one and my eyes are crossing. I heart Mama Smash)

7. Be there. All the time. Let them go when it's time, but always be there when they need you.


8. And if you're parenting with a partner....love each other.

Image result for friday night lights gifs coach and tami



And remember...because it's good advice for football and it's good advice for life: clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.


2 comments:

  1. You are so right. What a great show. Sean and I just finished it last month. It was our first go round. I'll admit I don't remember season 2 as being awful. I didn't particularly love the last two seasons. Especially the last one. But the message is there and good. Good advice for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think on second season I just don't like the murder storyline, although I like Tyra and Landry being a couple.

      Delete