Friday, June 8, 2018

A Friday list...

1. I fully intended to write a blog post on Wednesday, but this week has been fairly exhausting, starting on Sunday with a trip to the ER and overnight stay in the ICU for the littlest munchkin. Everyone is doing good now, but it's definitely taken us until yesterday to get back into the swing of things. We're still adjusting to new medication routines, but I don't feel quite as overwhelmed as I did on Monday.

2. In other news...it's full-on summer weather here, which means two things: hot and humid. It also means I need to get better about getting in most of our outside play time before lunch.

3. I recently watched the show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Netflix, and had an interesting thought while describing it to someone: I told them that it was a really well-written, funny show with a fantastic setting, great costumes, skilled actors, and interesting relationships. Then I said "it does have a lot of language." Later, that phrase struck me as a really funny idiom that at first glance doesn't seem like an idiom. What I meant -- and what many people would understand me to mean -- is that it has a lot of crude/foul/vulgar/off color language, what others might refer to as "bad words." I thought about how in reality the phrase "it has a lot of language" is missing a key word to be perfectly clear. To someone unfamiliar with that idiom it probably sounds like I meant it physically has a lot of words (it does, actually. It's very wordy, but delightfully so). Or did I mean it has a lot of flowery language, silly language, pretentious language, basic language, multiple languages. The wordsmith in me has recommitted to being a little more clear in my communication from now on.

4. I'm knee deep in a re-read of the Anne of Green Gables series (currently on Anne's House of Dreams). I started out reading the first one as a read-along with some friends, and when I got to the end just couldn't quit Prince Edward Isle! I have a middle grade book to read and review next, and I picked up a couple of books from the library, so we'll see what lands next.

5. I'm on a musical soundtrack kick lately. With the right musical, I get a nice cheerful, upbeat, sunny-day listening. Currently on heavy rotation: The Sound of Music, Wicked (always), and The Greatest Showman (even though I haven't seen the movie yet)

What are you listening to? Watching? Reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment