Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Wednesday list...

1. Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Some people will spend the weekend with family, some with friends, some by themselves, some relaxing, some working, some feeling grateful and happy, some feeling sad or heartsick. Whatever the day and the weekend hold for you, I hope you find a moment of grace and peace.

2. I usually run on Tuesdays after I drop the kids off at preschool, but they were off this week for Thanksgiving. Since I had a late night Monday and didn't want to get up early enough to run before Jeremy went to work, I was facing a treadmill run -- I'm grateful to have a treadmill, but it's not my favorite way to run. Instead, because it was such a beautiful morning, I got creative: the kids rode their bikes up and down the street in front of our house, chasing me while I ran. When they wanted to take a break I did squats, lunges, push-ups, and planks. So it was a good workout, plus I was playing with the kids!

3. Speaking of late nights...Jeremy and I went to a Brandon Sanderson book signing Monday night. I always enjoy a book signing. It's fun to meet authors and to hear them talk about their books or the craft of writing. And when there's a crowd -- like at this event -- it's a fantastic place for people watching. One thing I thought was particularly fun at this signing was the number of upper elementary/middle school-aged kids in the crowd. Sanderson has a pretty popular middle grade series (starting with Alcatrez Versus the Evil Librarians) in addition to his adult and YA books, so it was fun to see parents and kids together.

4.I devoured Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo last week, and it was a mostly satisfying end to the story that began in Six of Crows. I really enjoyed returning to an expanded and even more fleshed-out world of the Grisha; and I appreciated that despite being in the same world Bardugo told a completely different kind of story from the Grisha trilogy. The characters in the Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom are criminals -- street thugs and gang members -- but with vastly different backgrounds. Are they good people doing their best in bad circumstances? People who just made some poor choices in their life and can't find a way out? Or are they truly just bad guys? The story itself is a series of heists and cons and plays for revenge -- think Oceans 11 but with magic and a lot more violence.

5. Up next -- The Road Back to You, by Ian Cron and Suzanne Stabile; Skyward, by Brandon Sanderson; and YOU GUYS I JUST REALIZED TODAY THAT THE SEQUEL TO STRANGE THE DREAMER IS OUT! The hardback was on sale today so I snagged that as fast as I could. I feel like I am really out of touch with new books coming out, but I guess that's okay since there's only so much time in the day to read them anyway. I'm also realizing as I write this, that I really need to get back into listening to audiobooks. I've got a couple of knitting projects I want to work on, and I could get a lot more reading done if I did it while knitting.

Enjoy the rest of the week, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment