Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A Wednesday list...

Happy Wednesday, friends!

1. Reading:
This past weekend I read an advanced reader copy of a book called Collateral Damage, by Taylor Simonds. It was a fun take on a superhero story with a snarky heroine and a fast-paced plot. Before that, I read The Glass-Bottom Boat, by Laura Thomas (which I've been talking about for a couple of weeks on social media as part of the author's book launch team). It's Christian romantic suspense, and it's a good book to grab when you have a few hours and want to read something easy-breezy and familiar. Then before THAT I read Liane Moriarty's newest book Nine Perfect Strangers which was kind of bonkers but I LOVED it. Moriarty has a gift for crafting books that I find myself getting immersed in -- when I turn the last page I feel like I've been on a trip to Australia and gotten to know a whole bunch of new people (some friends...some not so much friends)

2. Watching/listening:
I'm going to mention two things this week. The first, is episode 7 of the 10 Things to Tell You Podcast: What are you assuming about others? This is a new podcast, and I've really been enjoying it. This episode in particular really resonated with me, and was a good reminder to stop and think about the power and potential harm when we make assumptions.
The second thing I've seen/heard is Captain Marvel! Have we become over saturated with super hero movies over the past few years? Maybe. But I still like them, and this one was worth the ticket and popcorn. Here are some things I like: Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel has the kind of confidence and swagger that doesn't need to prove itself, which is just so refreshing. Example: she's standing outside restaurant looking at a map and a jerkface on a motorcycle rolls up and says "give me a smile, sweetheart." She just goes about her business barely acknowledging his existence....and then steels his motorcycle. The other really standout feature of this movie is that the primary relationships are student/mentor and friendships. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good romance; but that's not the only kind of relationship that matters in a person's life, and I LOVED seeing a movie that explored other important relationships, and in my opinion was stronger for it.

3. Challenging:
I like spring-time, but this year allergies are kicking my butt. My two weeks of scratchy throat have settled into a cough that won't quit, and I'm over it.

4. Gratitude:
Going to the park is a favorite past time at our house, and I've noticed lately that the Harris County parks and rec department does a great job of keeping the county parks clean and in good shape, even the bathrooms!

5. Inspiration:
This was the verse of the day on my Bible app a few days ago, and it's just such a good reminder, both challenging and inspiring.

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. - Hebrews 13:16

No comments:

Post a Comment