Wednesday, October 9, 2019

A Wednesday list...

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted a classic Wednesday list, so off we go!

1. What I'm reading....
I finished China Rich Girlfriend, which I think I might have actually enjoyed more than Crazy Rich Asians. At least, it was just as much of a fun, fast read as the first book and maybe a little more bonkers. My book club and I decided it felt like reading a novel length version of a gossip magazine. And for something completely different, I just finished Celine, by Peter Heller who's maybe a little more well known for The Dog Stars and most recently The River. I really enjoyed Celine, although it wasn't quite what the experience I expected. It's a mystery that feels like it moves slowly, but then all of a sudden I'm two thirds of the way through the book. The plotting and story are excellent, but the story is more character driven (which is my favorite kind of mystery), and the rich, vivid descriptions made me feel like I was in Wyoming in the fall (which...hello, I'd love to be in Wyoming in the fall).

2. What I'm watching and listening to....
Poldark is baaaack!!! It's the final season, and two episodes in there's enough political intrigue to make my head spin. Also, they've jumped right into a storyline about insanity and mental health, which is a fascinating (and disturbing) subject matter at the turn of the 19th century.

My friend Stephanie also sent me a link to this song: Heavy, by Birdtalker. I don't know anything else about this band, but I could listen to Heavy forever.

3. Something I'm grateful for...
I got to go on a little weekend getaway with some women from church this past weekend, and it was just the kind of refreshing self care that I needed: friend time, alone time, conversation, laughing, eating, etc. I am so, so grateful that I was able to go. Shout out to my husband and in-laws for making it possible!

4. A little inspiration...

Go, sit upon the lofty hill,
And turn your eyes around
Where waving woods and waters wild
Do hymn an autumn sound.
The summer sun is faint on them -
The summer flowers depart -
Sit still - as all transform'd to stone,
Except your musing heart.
                                      ~excerpt from "The Autumn", by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment