Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A Wednesday list

1. Monday, I went for a run and I didn't want to die from the heat and humidity. Don't get me wrong, it was still tropical-level humid, but the breeze was actually cool and it was slightly cloudy, and just felt better than a run has in a long time. Yay!

2. Speaking of running, I need to find a 5k. Again. I signed up for one in the spring, but the spring floods postponed it and poor communication resulted in my missing the reschedule. So, it's back to the drawing board, and time to find a good fall 5k.

3. There are brownies in my house. But I'm quite confident they won't be here for long. Especially since there is also good coffee in my house (always, duh) of the hot and iced variety. Everything a girl could want.

4. As a coffee and (hot) tea drinker, I've noticed lately that some foods (sweets) put me in the mood for an accompanying cup of coffee, but others really call out for a cup of tea. Chocolate = coffee. Shortbread or any non-chocolate cookie = tea. Sweet bread like banana bread, pumpkin bread, or scones = tea. Pie = coffee. This is not a unique food revelation or anything, just that I've noticed the natural pairings more lately.

5. Reading. I've been revisiting an old friend the past couple of weeks: Stephanie Plum of Janet Evanovich's long running mystery series that started out a long time ago with One for the Money. I have...mixed feelings about Stephanie Plum these days, but it's been a few years since I picked up the series, and I was in the mood for light and fluffy, and these books are nothing if not fluffy. Although, the mysteries themselves are often surprisingly solid and not all that fluffy. The fluff comes from the backdrop and the characters. And while I enjoy that kind of book fairly regularly, I have to say my biggest beef with this series is that somewhere in the middle, the characters stopped changing or growing or showing any depth beyond there characterization. There are maybe two or three real characters in the books -- the rest are cardboard cutouts. And I say that with affection! I probably notice more because I like these cardboard cutouts...I just wish Evanovich had either worked to put more life into the characters, or quite the series several books ago. It's a shame because the series starts out so fun and interesting and sassy, but becomes really stuck in a rut. At least so far! I'm reading book 19 right now, and she's currently on 22 or 23, I think. I'd like to hope that somewhere in the next two books they find some life but....I'm not holding my breath.

6. I'm kind of feeling like I should pay homage to this back to school season with some YA fiction. Guess a search and visit to the library beyond the storytime room are in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment