Wednesday, June 19, 2019

A Wednesday list...London edition

Hello!
A week ago today Jeremy and I were enjoying our last day of a week-long trip to London (minus one day in Reims, France), and it just seemed appropriate to savor the experience in this way...

But first -- a HUGE shout-out to my parents and my niece Grace who watched our littles while  we were away and made the trip possible. By all accounts everyone had a fantastic time, and it's such a blessing to know the kids got some quality grandparent and cousin time. I know not everyone has family who can or will do this kind of thing, and I am immensely grateful for mine.

Bonus shout-out to Chad and Christin Paradowski who hosted us in their flat -- staying in a proper neighborhood is the way to go sometimes, especially in a big city like London.

1. Food is a big part of traveling for me -- new foods, unexpected finds, or just relishing delicious favorites in new places. Memorable experiences include steak and ale pie, pints, Indian food, mango lassi, pastries, tea, cappuccinos. The neighborhood pub, London's oldest pub, Dishoom London, Saravaana Bhavan, and the most delightful and delicious French restaurant we could have dreamt up (that creme brulee...).

2. Choral evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral was a highlight of the week for me. Not only was it beautiful, but it was meaningful as well. The priest made a comment that really stood out to me: inviting us into a "river of worship" that has gone on centuries before us, and will continue long after we are gone. What a good reminder of the scope of God's kingdom.

3. The British Museum and British Library are favorites, fascinating and inspiring. One fun thing that stood out at the British Museum was looking at a display of an ancient Greek civilization in an era that inspired one of my favorite book series (The Queen's Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner).

4. The World Cup. Going to a World Cup soccer game has been on my bucket list for several years, and the US women's team is on fire right now, so what a time to get to go!

5. One of my goals on this trip was to visit at least one bookstore, and the internet delivered a fantastic recommendation in the used bookstore Skoob Books, everything you want from a good used bookstore. In a similar vein, a wrong turn led us to Orc's Nest, the most delightful game store, a tiny, one-room-with-a-loft game store crammed with everything from family board games to Dungeons and Dragons books and everything in between.

6. The right pace. I could go on and on, but I'll end it here: this trip reminded me of how much I enjoy a trip when I remember to balance doing things with simply enjoying the place I'm at, realizing that I'm never going to be able to do ALL THE THINGS, so why not take the time to enjoy the things I do get to do. Take the time to linger over a good meal, take a walk along the river, and sit in a park on a sunny day (thank you Greenwhich for being beautiful).

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to travel with Jeremy, and can't wait to dream and plan our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment