Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Wedneday list...

You may or may not have noticed a slight slow down in activity on the ol' blog here. Summertime isn't as disruptive to our routine yet as families with kids in full time school, but it's still a different kind of rhythm around here lately.

I'll admit though that the best disruption to the regular routine has been novel editing. Sounds weird, right? Who loves editing their own work? (not me!) But it's a good disruption because it means we're getting that much closer to book birthday! I still can't believe it most days.

Never fear though, in the midst of summer chaos, travel, and editing, there's still plenty of good stuff to share...

1. What I'm reading...
This month the theme was quality over quantity. I read The Bird King, by G. Willow Wilson; Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen; and Two Like Me and You, by Chad Alan Gibbs. The Bird King was an atmospheric, fairy-tailesque fantasy set in the time of the Inquisition. While the themes felt a bit heavy handed at times, the characters were fascinating, layered, and really compelling; the  setting was vivid and unique; and ultimately I really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something more contemporary and fun, Two Like Me and You had me laughing out loud and compulsively turning the pages. Two teenagers help an World War II veteran escape from his nursing home and travel to Paris to find his long-lost love. I mean. It was fun and fast-paced -- a perfect summer read. I'm trying to work my way through my physical book stack, and have books by Matthew Quick and Jojo Moyes to pick up next.

2. What I'm watching/listening to...
I am currently listening to a lot of Joy Williams (formerly of The Civil Wars) newest album Front Porch. It has a lovely, mellow, lazy river vibe, and I think Joy Williams' voice is just beautiful.

3. Something I'm grateful for...
The kids have been taking swiming lessons this summer, and I am so grateful not only for the resources to send them to classes, but also for how much they are enjoying it and how much they're learning. They are noticeably more comfortable in the water this summer than they were last year.

4. A little inspiration...

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." - Galatians 6:9-10


No comments:

Post a Comment